Thirty Local Social Responsibility Agreement Committees Formed (LSRACS)
WG facilitated the formation and inauguration of local SRA committees in 30 communities in the Bibiani, Sefwi Wiawso and Juaboso forests districts as part of activities of the EU funded project to Strengthen community based forest stakeholders and key actors in the wood supply chain in three major timber producing areas in Ghana for the implementation of EU timber regulations and the new domestic market policy. The selection of the committees was done at community sensitization programmes in series during the period of 2014. Each SRA committee is made up of 7 members selected from the following groups in the communities:
- Chief of the community or his representative
- Unit Committee member
- A representative from the district assembly (Assemblyman)
- Representatives from forest stakeholder groups such as CFCs, CBAGs.
- Representatives from youth groups ( a man and woman)
- A representative from farmer and women groups
The committees are responsible for negotiating, monitoring and implementing Social Responsibility Agreement between their communities and timber firms operating in their forests. They are also to lead the monitoring of all illegal operations in the forest and serve as a liaison between the communities and the FSD on forest offense reporting.